Friday, November 12, 2010

Pre-Production: Day 1

Hey everyone!!!
Today was the first day of pre-production with the producer of the EP. The producer I'm working with is the lead singer from the band Current Affairs, Jordan Feliz of JAF Productions. Working with him was such a great experience. It's such an exuberant feeling to hear your own music being played and produced well...and having someone other than you believe in it. When we started running through songs, I seriously like...had waves of pure joyfulness. It's like getting a high on something, like...if you're riding a rollercoaster, but better because you created it. Anyways, I think you get the picture. We made really good time today and got through 2 full songs, "Wish I Could" & "When I Saw You" in about 4 hours. I can't tell you how pleased with the product I am. I was a little nervous at first because you never know what a producer is going to do with your songs--what they're going to hack out and what they're going to add. I was really lucky that we only had very little changes and only added things to the songs. 

So for those of you who are curious as to what pre-production actually is, I'll explain.
Basically, in pre-production, we clean up the songs which includes editing/rewriting lyrics & melodies, editing, restructuring, determining instrumentation, brainstorming ideas for the record. So, basically I show Jordan (the producer) my songs and he makes them fancy by adding synth's, instrumentation, etc. and also cleans them up/share ideas. This is one major aspect of pre-production. Another aspect is getting the band together and actually practicing together. However, that will be on like pre-prod day 3 or 4 or something. 
Pre-production is done before the recording process. The recording process is the actual "production stage." The final stage is "post-production," which basically takes all of the recorded material, cleans it up, puts it together, and creates the record. 
FYI: I'll be recording at JSM Studios with sound engineer Justin Rosander. The nice thing about working with Justin & Jordan is that they're affiliates and they're friends...and also they're just great people who genuinely care about the artist, the process, and the music. Furthermore, they're not just in it for the money, like you hear major producers/studios are. I really appreciate this about them both. And...since Fresno, CA is kinda small, we actually all have mutual friends...which makes it nice.

Anywho!
That was my wonderful, exciting, fulfilling day. It was so much fun...to think I could actually get paid to do this. It is "work," but it's really fun work and its so personal because songs are a part of you. It's more like perfecting my craft and it's so fulfilling. 
Stay tuned for more & if you're lucky, I'll post some snippet's of today's work. 
Always, 
SirenSinging <3

No comments:

Post a Comment